If you visit my blog, you will most likely encounter DDE server windows explore.exe application error. Today I will briefly and clearly explain what DDE Server Window is and how to remove the error.
It is an old Windows technology that allows applications to communicate with each other by exchanging data. This is not a third-party program or virus.
What is Windows DDE Server?
Windows DDE server means – Windows Dynamic Data Exchange server. Windows offers several ways to transfer data between programs. One option is the Dynamic Data Exchange protocol (DDE).
The DDE protocol is a collection of messages and guidelines. It uses shared memory to send messages between applications that share data. The DDE protocol can be used by applications for both one-time data transfers or continuous data exchanges, in which applications send each other updates as new data becomes available.
It is an extremely primitive version of OLE (Object Linking and Embedding), allowing you to insert Excel spreadsheets into a Word Document.
DDE server windows error when turning off PC
This is a fairly common problem when some programs do not have time to shut down when the computer is turned off. I will provide three solutions below.
- Turn off “Automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode”.
- Check for the latest windows updates.
- Do not shut down your computer by using the start menu.
- Remove the second monitor.
Turn off “Automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode”
It is quite simple. Just follow the steps below. This method worked for me. Maybe it will help you too.
Press on Start menu->Settings->Personalization->Taskbar and turn off “Automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode”.
Check for the latest windows updates
This problem may have occurred due to Windows not being updated for a long time, so updating Windows may solve this problem. Checking if your computer has the latest updates is not difficult.
- In the search bar, write “updates” and press on “Check for updates”.
- Press “Check for updates” to check if you are up to date. You can also download and install “Optional quality update“.
Do not shut down your computer by using the start menu
It is also quite a simple method. Press the right mouse button on the start menu and select Shut down or sing out->Shut down, like in the picture below.
Remove the second monitor
Just simple try disconnecting the second faucet and see if the problem persists.
If the problem persists, try to increase the shutdown timeout if it’s bothering you. The steps are given below.
- Press Win+R to open the Run prompt.
- Type regedit and hit the Enter button.
- Click Yes in the UAC prompt.
- Navigate to the Desktop folder in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- Double-click on HungAppTimeout.
- Set a value in milliseconds.
- Click OK and close Registry Editor.
Is the DDE server window a virus?
No, it’s not a virus. It’s a built-in windows protocol that helps programs communicate (share data) with each other. If you are facing a DDE server window error while turning off the computer, try to complete the steps given above.
- Windows Update KB5010793. What it fixes.
- DMSS for Windows. Equivalent for PC SmartPSS.
- Windows 10 Home vs. Pro for Gaming. Is there any difference?
- How to Download Microsoft Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft Site (With Pictures)
Last words of the author
I hope I have answered the important questions for you. If you have additional questions or comments, you can leave them in the comment section.